Hi! If you’re here, you’re probably interested in finding out about my work as a scientist. You can read a brief overview here, in my about section, or you can stick around for the nitty-gritty.
I’m a PhD Student at the University of Glasgow, fully funded by the highly competitive MVLS DTP program.
I work in Professor Anna Amtmann’s lab, studying epigenetic regulation of tissue specific gene expression, focusing specifically on responses to salt stress in plant roots. I’m currently drafting a paper with a view to publish in Nature Plants, so please keep an eye out!
To do this, I use the following techniques:
- DNA and RNA extraction, cDNA synthesis
- RT-qPCR and conventional PCR
- Chromatin Immuno-Precipitation (ChIP)
- Protein synthesis and isolation in E.coli
- Western blotting
- Classical and gateway cloning
- Agrobacterium mediated plant transformation
Plant growth and culture
- Sterile plant growth on plates
- Tissue and callus culture
- Soil growing
- Hydroponic culture
- Liquid seedling culture
- Data analysis
- Protoplast generation
- Ion quantification with flame spectrophotometry
- Fluorescence Activated Cell Sorting
- Confocal imaging and fluorescence quantitation